Mac 101 pull start

Notifications
Clear all

Mac 101 pull start

5 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter

I’ve just purchased this Margay with a mac 101. I don’t know anything about them and am just getting the privilege of enjoying vintage karting. The clutch side shaft thread is left hand. I have no real way of starting via a rigged drilled crossbolt and an 8mm allen bolt to run off a drill, via the guy who sold it to me. Hey, he tried…. Anyways there is a pull start I can buy that’s marked for a 90, 101, and 49. I know I may have seat clearance issues and am willing to deal with that. My ques is, it should work right? 

Posted : 20/01/2022 3:27 am

Posted by: @joshuanorris

I’ve just purchased this Margay with a mac 101. I don’t know anything about them and am just getting the privilege of enjoying vintage karting. The clutch side shaft thread is left hand. I have no real way of starting via a rigged drilled crossbolt and an 8mm allen bolt to run off a drill, via the guy who sold it to me. Hey, he tried…. Anyways there is a pull start I can buy that’s marked for a 90, 101, and 49. I know I may have seat clearance issues and am willing to deal with that. My ques is, it should work right? 

Don’t buy a pull start, the clutch will have a left hand nut with a right hand cap screw to lock on the nut and you would start it off the cap screw.  Will save your arm and back and there are lots of starters to use at the track before you buy your own.    Jim D

Posted : 20/01/2022 2:12 pm
Topic starter

@jimdonovan hi Jim. Someone just said this isn’t a mac101 in the pic. Can you identify please

Posted : 20/01/2022 3:28 pm

@joshuanorris looks like a West Bend.

Posted : 20/01/2022 10:03 pm
Topic starter

I m totally new to Vintage Karting and I need the help of the guru’s! My issue is the reverse thread on the clutch side crank shaft. There is a hexagonal sleeve that threads left hand. The sleeve has a right hand thread on the other half of the iD. Previous owner ran a helicoil and an 8mm hex head RH and some gizmo that ratchets to hook to a drill. But when I try to start it unthreads the hexagonal sleeve. I was going to drill through end of crank and run a crossbolt through to keep it stationary. My other thought and preference is a pull start. I don’t want to buy starter box and I want to start it at home. Do they Make parts still? I read about changing RH threaded crank. So whatcha think?

Posted : 20/01/2022 10:31 pm
Share: