

VINTAGE KARTING ASSOCIATION, INC.

Board of Directors Meeting Minutes

May 11, 2014

President Campbell called the meeting to order at 8:05 PM EDT

Roll call by Secretary Figone

Board members in attendance:

Jeff Campbell	President
Ernie Shores	Vice President
Louie Figone	Secretary
Jim Donovan	Treasurer
Pearl Gamble	Executive Director
Jim Thompson	
Jack Murray	
Dean Kossaras	
Rick Chapman	



Board members absent:

Lake Speed

Guests present:

Rolf Hill VKA FirsTurn Newsletter/Magazine editor

PRESIDENT'S REPORT:

President Campbell: I have nothing new to offer so let's go right to the secretary's report.

SECRETARY'S REPORT:

Secretary Figone: The minutes went out last week; there was a question by Rolf on the wording by Jeff about posting pictures on the website. I wrote the minutes direct from the tape as spoken by Jeff.

President Campbell: I make the motion to approve the minutes as submitted.

Director Donovan: I second the motion.

President Campbell: All in favor of accepting the minutes say aye, anyone opposed say nay, the ayes are unanimous, the motion passes.

TREASURER'S REPORT:

Treasurer Donovan: We ended March with \$13,545.70, for April we had income of \$257.00, we had \$70.00 in membership renewals and \$187.00 from the 50/50 drawing. Our outflow for April was \$1,912.78, which was for \$928.63 for printing, \$224.15 for postage and \$760.00 for Directors Insurance, leaving us with an ending balance of \$11,889.92 for April.

We had budgeted \$875.00 for membership income for April and we only took in \$70.00. We are still \$183.00 to the positive for this year for income verses outgo.

Director Figone: I make a motion to accept the treasurer's report as submitted.

Director Thompson: I second the motion.

President Campbell: All in favor of accepting the treasurer's report as submitted say aye, opposed say nay, the ayes are unanimous, the motion passes. Thank you Jim.

WEBSITE REPORT:

President Campbell: I fixed the meeting minutes area, there is a link on the main page that you can click on and it takes you to the minutes. I am working on scanning the entry forms for Springfield and Broadhead.

MEMBERSHIP REPORT:

Director Thompson: We have 260 members, 39 associate members for a total of 299 members. I talked to Mary Jo about the membership cards not having member names on the card, Mary Jo said there are too many cards so she sends the cards out without the name, the member can write in their own name.

President Campbell: That's why we went in that direction; we printed out generic cards and let the member write in his own name to reduce the workload on Mary Jo.

Director Thompson: Bill and Mary Jo also mentioned they would like to pass on the membership duties to someone else at the end of the year; they have given us a heads up so that we are aware.

Rolf Hill: I will put out a notice in the magazine and newsletter with a job description so that whoever accepts the position will know what is required.

SAFETY REPORT:

Director Kossaras: Not much on safety, I did get a little fuss on the Yamaha class over the rules. If the promoter wants to put the other piston port engines in that class it's his option to do so.

Director Shores: Did you find out any more information on the Burco clutch that came off at Barnesville?

Director Kossaras: I made several calls but no one has any information on the incident.

Rolf Hill: What about the wording changes about persons allowed to help in the advent of an accident?

Director Kossaras: We sent that out three weeks ago.

Director Shores: If everyone would review that email and give us your feedback so we can present the new wording to the board for their approval.

Director Chapman: At the last few events that I have been to there have been quite a few of the sidewinder karts that do not have third bearing supports. Also I want to chime in on the Yamaha Piston Port class, I have talked to several of the people at the events, Sonny Gerber, Dean Sauder, Butch Kavanaugh, Gary W and some of the other guys, I explained to them about a very limited tech. All these guys say it's a way to promote vintage karting. Another thing I heard down at Whiteland is there is too much confusion between Historic, the 6.1, the over 60 6.1, all these rear engine classes, I think down the road we need to address the over 60, 6.1 and under, basically the same classes with two different names.

JUDGING REPORT:

Director Murray: All the certificates are made up for the year, I am sending them out. Gus wants to have a money kart show at his Quincy event.

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR'S REPORT:

Director Gamble: I want to recap some of the races. The one in Florida (Jacksonville) the weather held us down, the same with Barnesville Georgia; we didn't have the participation that we should have had. Then Circleville probably made the best showing of all of them. Now we have Whiteland IN, I understand we had 27 karts, what I want to know is why?

Director Chapman: At Whiteland it was cold, I think some people did not go because of the weather.

Director Gamble: We have New Castle coming up in June; let's see how that turns out!

Director Kossaras: Bill McCornack and I have been talking about this; it seems there are too many races last year. The Midwest can take about four major races per year.

Director Gamble: It's something we need to look at.

Director Chapman: When you have Barnesville, Circleville and Whiteland all within two months it was financially tough.

President Campbell: We received an email from Scott Klinger mentioning there are too many events and Whiteland not being very happy about the turnout. We don't really know if it was weather related or too many events happening. There was also the question about getting their flyer and entry forms up on the website, we did receive those items late. Also Scott's requests that he would like some help with his position. We need to find another coordinator to help Scott out. Rolf, can you put something into the newsletter asking if someone would be interested in becoming an assistant coordinator to help Scott out?

Director Donovan: What about the question that Scott made about too many events.

President Campbell: We have always said there are too many events, they come too quickly, how do you limit that? We have promoters and track owners that want events.

Rolf Hill: Let's come up with a three year plan, a five year plan would be better that way we can alternate tracks so we spread out the events.

President Campbell: You can't tell a promoter he cannot have an event, he will have an event even without the VKA blessing. We can focus on a handful of events, the ones that have a good turnout.

NEWSLETTER REPORT:

Rolf Hill: For the FirstTurn will have the Whiteland results, an article by Dick Teal on West Bend compression ratios. Everything so far is on schedule.

ENDURO REPORT:

Director Chapman: As you all know we won't be racing at the Dart Kart Club, nothing has changed there. Letters have gone out to the track owners at Nelson Ledges; I am waiting to hear back from them. The event at MIS is coming up in Sept, the Michigan Kart club is welcoming us, I found a sponsor to help with the awards. We are going to run four separate classes up there, a USA enduro, called Vintage USA, Vintage Euro which is 100cc and 135 cc open stuff together,

A vintage Piston Port class and also a Vintage dual engine class. It's all in process right now. In July Dave Larson from CES (Championship Enduro Series) has invited us to run at their events.

NEW BUSINESS:

Director Thompson: I think we should do a complete survey and mail it out instead of putting it in the newsletter; you will probably get a better response. We should only ask questions that pertain to what and why they attend events, how many events they have gone to, why they haven't gone, ask them pointed yes or no questions. How come people are not joining, why are they not re-upping, are they not involved anymore? I think that is good information so we can direct our membership and marketing. You will generally get a 25% return, but you will get some feedback that is meaningful, not from just a few guys that have a lot of voice.

Director Kossaras: I would like every board member to send me a question or two for the flyer, email it to me and I will put it into a draft and send it back to the whole board for discussion.

President Campbell: Dean, if you would work on that then we can get a questionnaire out.

If there is no other new business I am going to adjourn the meeting, it is 9:12 PM EDT

Respectively submitted by Secretary Figone

