It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: New entrant saying hello
Unread postPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:33 pm 

Hello all,

I have posted on the VKA facebook page and received a warm response. So thank you Gary Wlodarsky, Rolf Hill, Jeffrey Brown and Tom Day just to name a few.

I am an expat Brit living in the USA midwest want have 2 karts from my youth I raced in the Formula TKM series that I shipped over with me. 1 is my very first kart (more on that later) but the other is the kart I wish to enter into VKA event when it is eligible in 2022 (for now I can just practice).

It is a 1992 ARC chassis with a direct drive TKM BT82 engine. My dad bought the chassis in 1997 and I began racing it in 1999 when I moved to senior TKM. The engine I have owned since new in 1996. It has a strong history in our family and I thought you'd enjoy my sharing it. Here is the advertisement for it in the back of a kart race program from 1997:

And here is a screenshot of my racing it in 1999 where I won my first two club level races and nearly won the Welsh Championships that season. We purchased an bracket kit to upgrade the side bars to mandatory side pods.

After that, it was used as a spare kart for me and occasional use by my dad when I went to shifters. In 2007/2008 we entered it in the Open Endurance Kart series in the UK and won our class. Each race was 4.5hrs long. After this it was again mothballed for a few years until my brothers started using it in 2014/2015 at a local club that started running races. Unfortunately by then it was uncompetitive against modern equipment and was retired. Here it is in 2014 (#23)

I emigrated to the US in 2016 and finally got to ship it over in 2019 whereby some of you may remember seeing it at the battle of the brickyard where my dad drove it in the historic class.

I have now decided to pamper it in retirement and use it at VKA practice events until it is eligible to race in 2 years time. After consulting with some members of VKA I have reverted the kart back to the original specification and how it looked when we bought it without any bodywork.

Thank you for welcoming me and I hope you enjoyed reading the history of this kart. It is very sentimental to our family and is the only kart to have been driven by every family member and I look forward to adding to it's story this side of the pond.

Finally, as promised. Here are images of my very first kart in 1996 and 2019 when I got it running and drove it for the first time in 21 yrs. I will be giving it a full restoration sometime and displaying it as a show kart.