It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

For discussion of equipment safety, with the purpose of constructively defining safety improvements - not for the discussion of event on-track driving rules or VKA Guidlelines - general forum rules also apply which are published on this website.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Kill Switches
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:24 pm 

Whats the statice with Kill Switches. I don't notice them on many Vintage Karts in the Site pics.

Post subject: Re: Kill Switches
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:04 am 
Site Admin

Steve,
That is a good one, glad you pointed it out. Kill Switches can enhance safety and also save a motor (when a chain, clutch, crank,etc... goes). I have them on my BM-130 dual sidewinder kart, and swear by them, have needed them several times already over the past couple years. Also, it makes shutting down the motors a lot easier ... IMO kill switches are the best alternative for shutting down a vintage motor ... its better then choking the hell out of them and risking fouling plugs ... or setting the idle so low the motor starves on fuel and shuts down (no lubrication is a bad thing).

In real racing circles, kill switches were never popular years ago, more weight on the kart, and another thing to fail during a race.

Jeff

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:39 pm 

The kill switch decision makes sense from a safety perspective, but there are other means of shutting off a motor or stopping a run-away kart. Killing a motor in the heat of a good race due to a loose wire/short or accidental flipping of the switch can be devastating - at least in the emotional sense. Fouled plugs due to choking have never been an issue for me. If the plug fouls, it can be replaced. I'd leave it up to the driver to decide.

Rolf P. Hill- VKA #436
ODENTON, MD

Unread postPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:14 pm 

I have run kill switches since a major accident in 1961. I run them on Vintage and modern karts. Never once have I bumped a switch and shut the engine down during a race. In all those years I have had one bad switch. It can depend on what switch you select. I use the appliance type 120V rated toggle switches. I have seen karts with stuck throttles and out of control problems where this safety device would save you ----. I think you are foolish to not give one a try. Oh another tip. Today it is easy to wire things up nicely. I use the very nice Dautch type connectors that have the neat little pins enclosed . They only cost a few dollars to have a really nice/clean setup.