It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for listing of Vintage Karting items. Other topics or posts will be moved or deleted. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: WTB Piston for Power Products H81
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:30 pm 

I know it also may be called an AH81 as well. The tag on my engine only has the H81 stamped in it. This is for an old chainsaw that was passed down from my grandfather. I would like to keep it running. I am hoping that someone might have a source for a replacement piston. Or some info on a piston that would fit this motor. I have been told that an 820 WestBend piston will work.

Post subject: Re: WTB Piston for Power Products H81
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:28 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, you can use a WB820 piston... but must bore out the cylinder a lot. If the ports are close to stock, should be ok. The last AH81 I build, I ported it out a lot, then bored it for an 820 piston... ran great until the thin cylinder wall broke around the port area. .. in the video below, you can see the 820 piston I used, which I also cut boost ports in..
CLICK HERE to watch in Large HD Video mode (requires high speed Internet connection)

Post subject: Re: WTB Piston for Power Products H81
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:25 am 

That is an awesome video!
I would rather not bore it out too much. I am just wanting to use it as a chainsaw. I am not modifying it any other than a new piston that fits the bore along with new rings.
The stock bore on this engine from what I have been able to research on the internet is 2.5"
My bore on the jug is right at 2.5" it does not show any cross hatch though.
My piston measures in at about 2.485" which is obviously about 15 thousands to small.
The piston still shows the machining marks from when it was produced albeit they are on the wrist pin side.
I am wanting to source a piston that is about 30 thousands over. My plan is to use the saw as intended, and not have to baby it.
I have tried contacting Wiseco to have them sell me a blank so I can machine a piston myself, but have not had too much luck.
I appreciate your reply. I know this is not a go kart engine per say, but I am running into walls trying to find a piston for this engine.