It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: McCulloch 250 Saw Conversion
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:32 pm 

Hello all. This is my first post, so thanks for letting me in the forum. I've read through (what I assume is the old Forum) and this one, but can't seem to find answers to my specific questions. I have a 250 chainsaw engine with standard saw crank. I bought a MC49 3/4 PTO Crank to replace the saw crank. The plan is to just swap it over for use on a bike or kart. Can I use the standard MC6, 7... 49, 91 etc, main bearing? I was searching on ebay, and I saw one that said it was specifically for the 3/4 pto crank, but it had a weird extended inner race.

Post subject: Re: McCulloch 250 Saw Conversion
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:40 am 

there is a lot of information on converting this saw on the Vintage Karting Forum. I've done a couple dozen of these saw conversions. Normall they take the same bearings and seals as a mac 91 series. I think the 49 mc block and crank is different in the pto bearing using a ball bearing. Keep the saw crank. Jim Donavan still has a few of the clutches that screw on the stub end. I designed that method for the clutch about 2012 and it works perfect. Just be sure you fully seat the clutch on the stub before running and double check that it is indeed seated againt the stub. I do grind the stub down to 9/16 on mine so I can use the 9 tooth drum and bushing.