It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mcculloch MC30 Engine Mounting/Setup
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:43 pm 

Hey guys newbie here that knows nothing about vintage karts, but I'm about to start putting one together. I've got an MC30 engine and just have a few questions:

1) From the factory, are these setup to run clockwise or counterclockwise rotation? Can I tell by looking at the flywheel shroud blade direction? Most I see have the crank snout facing the passenger side of the kart, so opposite of what you'd see on newer 4 stroke kart engines.
2) What is the optimum angle to set these up? Most I've seen have the carb pointing straight up, like a traditional downdraft.
3) Do these need a header/expansion chamber to run correctly?
4) Do I need a special clutch for this engine?
5) Any other tricks/tips/useful information is appreciated!

Thanks!

Ben

Post subject: Re: Mcculloch MC30 Engine Mounting/Setup
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:49 am 

Ben - I believe your kart is a rupp, not sure what model, I'm sure others will know. Sometimes it takes awhile to get answers here. To answer your questions -
1- the engine will rotate clockwise looking at the pto or ccw looking at the flywheel.
2- these engines can be mounted at almost any angle, most mounts are horizontal, 45, 60 or 90 degrees.
3- you don't need a pipe or expansion chamber although a proper one will help performance. just be careful it is correct for the engine. Talk to the experts first. You can always use a box muffler or vintage header.
4- you can use a dry clutch or oil clutch made for the mcculloch tapered crank. Dry clutches are plentiful and simpler to use. Oil clutches can help performance.
I'm no karting expert, but there are plenty who are, maybe they will post better info.
cool engine in the background with the 3 duces, looks like a 348 or 409.
I'm going to send you a private message
Paul

Post subject: Re: Mcculloch MC30 Engine Mounting/Setup
Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Ben,
Paul answered most of your questions.

I would recommend getting a good clutch, they take a beating. For an MC30 rear engine kart application, you will want to use a dry clutch ... but there are some choices to make, 9 or 10 Tooth and inboard/outboard. I suggest contacting Jim Donovan (info below), tell him how you will use the kart .. he can guide you and provide what I feel is by far the best dry clutch available for a McCulloch engine today (this is what I run on my dual Rear kart). Jim has a wide range of springs for adjusting engage speed, and the shoe linings hold up real well.

Max-Torque – new vintage kart dry clutches
Max-Torque Website,http://www.maxtorque.com
2180 Corporate Lane
Naperville, IL 60563

As for alternative dry clutches, there are some used Horstman clutches floating around, but limited options on engage speed, most operate as if direct drive, and the 9T ones have nasty binding bushings.