It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Lancer GT
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:23 am 

I'm in the process of restoring a 64 or 65 Lancer GT and need to have the rubber chassis and engine mount bushings replaced. I've found a place that I believe can water-jet them for me but I need to know the dur-o-meter, hardness, of the rubber. I seem to recall it's either 60 or 70 but I don't remember which.
Hopefully,
Lance Mearing

Post subject: Re: Lancer GT
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:44 am 

This is a guess, but ask Rob Stanton, he may have them. They should be the same as a Chaparral.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:50 am 

Actually, they're not the same as a Chaparral. They are rather large items about 3 or 4 inches wide, about 1 inch thick, with a hole in the center that goes around the frame tube and a slit on one side for twisting the bushing onto the frame rail. There are two different lengths one for the chassis and a longer one for the swing mounts but the design is the same. They are held onto the chassis and swing mounts with large U-Bolts and nuts. Most I've seen use a double nut system to lock them in place.
Robert Stanton does not have any, I asked. I've been told that the originals were normally used for either pipe or conduit hangers, either way they are extremely hard to find. I don't know if there is a substitute that could be used.
Thanks for the suggestion, though
Lance

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:45 am 

yep...totally different than Chaparral......I'm thinking start looking a automotive sway bar mounts.....different sizes, colors.....

I converted a Hornet to a swing mount,,,similar design where it goes over/around the frame held in place with a ubolt..again , very similar,,,,

gw

VKA #387

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:02 am 

while you could make your own with a water jet system I'm not sure where you could get the U-Bolts as they are some what narrow and long compared to standard U-Bolts from either the hardware store or McMaster Carr. There are places that make bolts and they might be able to help.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:09 am 

Lance..

McMaster Carr has ubolts of many different configurations,,some black, some cad plated, some SS......

Gary

VKA #387

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:38 pm 

Gary,
the problem I had the last time I restored a Lancer GT was that the u-bolts that held the chassis and the swing mounts on were an odd length and curvature. Mc Master Carr didn't have anything that came close and of course hardware stores were a total loss.
Fortunately, I have the original rubber bushings and u-bolts and so I can have them duplicated but it won't be cheap in such small quantities, especially the u-bolts as I'll only need four of two different lengths. Having them made does have one benefit though, the threads can be rolled instead of cut which will make stronger.
I have seen some bushings some where that had a piece of metal on the top and bottom with a urethane bushing between that might be made to work. You would need the right length and thickness for the bushing, drill a hole in it as well as holes for the mounting screws and clamp the frame together with that. It would probably work for the swing mounts as well.
Lance