It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Original Rupp Paint Codes?
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:13 am 

I have come to the conclusion that my Grand Prix is a 1965 model, based on it's short tie rods, deluxe upholstery, and traces of red paint discovered during restoration. I can only acknowledge that it's 4" front wheels are an anomaly. It was yellow when I acquired it in 1990, but, when I stripped it for repaint recently, I discovered traces of red paint in the nooks and crannies around the welds. The 1965 Rupp brochures that I have seen online show red karts. There seems to be some consensus, in an old thread over on REAR, that 1964 models were blue. Another thread seems to indicate that '65 models were red.

Does anyone know exactly what paint colors were used by Rupp, particularly on the '65 Grand Prix? Are there corresponding automotive paint codes?

Thanks,
Kurt

Post subject: Re: Original Rupp Paint Codes?
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:51 pm 

I remember the '64 Grand Prix's being candy blue and the '65 (along with Lancers) being candy red. I also remember the '65 having a horizontally pleated upholstery whereas the '64 had kind of a plain upholstery with white trim. I doubt there is a paint code for candy colors since they all turned out different. It was always a translucent red/blue/green/orange top coat applied over a silver or gold base coat. I'm guessing Rupp used a silver base from the ones I remember seeing. Tom Smith might know.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:56 pm 

Thanks for your input, Dan.

I posed the question to Robert Stanton in an email a few months ago, and he did reply that Rupp red was "Candy Apple Red". I just wasn't sure if that was what he used in the '70s or if there was a more specific color in the earlier years. I know that there is a Karting World article posted on vintagekartforum that calls the Grand Prix Enduro's red "Matero Red". I can't track that color down, though.

I have considered picking from any automotive color that would have been available in 1965. I have considered Cadillac's Matador Red, for example.

Then again, I may be overthinking this.

-Kurt

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:37 pm 

Kurt,
I've seen the Karting World article, Matero is probably a misspelling. 1965 Pontiac had Montero Red. Dietzler (PPG) paint code was 71472. Same paint code 65 Chevrolet Regal Red, 66 Cadillac Flamenco Red. Also this color was Lucite 4625LH . Try checking out these codes, then see if it's a good match.

Mark D'Elia