It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Delmar Schedule Update
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:25 pm 

I have had a few people ask some questions about the VKA event at Delmar next week...Figured it would be easier to do a quick update for everyone..

1) Why is the heat schedule different from in the past - For those of you that attended last year, the schedule has not changed as we ran one heat late Friday and two on Saturday...For those that did not attend last year, the heat schedule was changed due to overwhelming vote by the members participating at Delmar...

2) Why is the first heat at 5pm - The emergency crew are volunteers and have full time jobs, EMT's can not get to the track until 4:30-5pm. We will have the first group of karts on the grid at 4pm and ready when the EMT arrives.

3) Will the first heat interfere with dinner at Bluff Lake - Bluff Lake is open Fri-Sun from 4-10pm... The real concern seemed to be getting there in time to get Prime Rib before it sells out... I placed a call to Bluff Lake and spoke with an employee, they are going to have the owner call me back next week to get an idea of how many people will want the Prime Rib so we can give him a count...Bluff Lake will try to accommodate our groups, will follow up with this more next week.
Text me if you are planning on the Prime Rib 248-533-7544

4) Why is the scoring different - The current VKA scoring system is dated and offers multiple issues... One is the ever growing Yamaha classes, just ask any of the group that finished in the middle of the pack at New Castle (something like 24 karts), if your not in the top 4 places you are basically eliminated from trying to be competitive in points. The AMA system that I am going to test at Delmar keeps people competitive and promotes consistency. If you are more concerned about how the points structure will ruin your weekend than having fun with your friends and fellow vintage karters... Your in the wrong club....

5) Why am I changing things from the VKA guidelines at Delamr - Each event is run by a volunteer promoter and the promoter can make changes that he/she believes will help provide a fun and smooth event... In order to maintain and build our sport, we need to evolve with issues and complaints from the members. Members did not like running all three heats on Sat and then have a long drive home (so we made a change), Members did not like being mathematically eliminated from competition after the second heat (we are testing a change). Most of us don't like change - but in order to maintain and build on what we have, we have to be a little flexible with the improvement process.. In order to make a decent change, some data is required - without data its strictly left to opinions and we all know how that goes... So before you criticize, take a few moments to think about how much time, effort, and personal expense your VKA promoters put forth so you can have an enjoyable time at the track with your friends and show off your machine that you spent your time and money on..... Hope to see everyone at Delmar or another VKA event!!!!

Best way to get ahold of me is by calling/texting to 248-533-7544

Post subject: Re: Delmar Schedule Update
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:09 am 

Making changes to make things BETTER is good. I'm for trying these, if they don't work we can go back or try something else. At least Scott is thinking and trying. Give him some credit!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:36 pm 

It would be nice with the handful that duals are, if we could get them run before it gets to late and we need lights. The backside lighting isn't real good like the front is.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:08 am 

Good idea Steve. I would like to see us get thru all of the classes before it gets dark. The risk factor goes up running with the lights for us old timers plus you can't read the vintage guages without backlights.

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:00 pm 

Tom - Steve,

I am not a proponent of running under lights either!!!!! More than vision issues come up, when the dew settles onto the track it gets very slippery (and you two know what little traction we have with the duals as it is).... So that is not an option to run past dusk... After discussions with the track owners, looks like its possible to get things started at 3:45pm on Friday but I will need a few volunteers for corner workers back in the bowl area of the track until the rest of the staff arrives..... Doing what I can to have a fun safe event and get folks off to dinner at a reasonable time. Dad and I are looking forward to seeing you guys at the track!!!