It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: inncorporating some 4 cycle classe to VKA
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 pm 

It has come to a discussion among some of us at many tracks as to when we are to incorporate some 4cycle classes into the VKA for the future and security of the organization9 (especialy at smaller turn outs). As the years pass and many of the grey hairs disappear we may find that due to not truly following the evolution of the sport it could and may go into a decline. Many in the circle of discussions we were all 2 cycle racers in the beginning and love it dearly but also admit we left our 1st loves and went to 4 cycle racing because of popularity and cost and got our sons and grandsons into karting. This by all means would bring some more popularity to our events and also give us races that would have field of 6-10 rather than maybe 2 karts in a race. For the track promoters it would increase attendance and revenue to both the VKA and participating tacks. With the year ending and 2018 coming I would like to throw out a local track option of a Briggs only4 cycle mod class and a 4 cycle stock class. We would like to look to trying this at bushnell and Barnesville Bob Bartholmew has already been entertaining the idea.. 4 cycle karting entered the scene in 1981.. Be gracious with your thoughts and comments. Many of us were 4 cycle karters longer than we were 2cycle.

Post subject: Re: inncorporating some 4 cycle classe to VKA
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:02 pm 

If your the promoter, do whatever you want. I race modern 4 cycle also but find them boring for the most part. Others love them. I won't be joining the 4 cycle crew so I'm not going to defect to join the ranks of the 4 cycle. I see the biggest problem as being we only have so many people that want to attend an event no matter what the engine is. I call it "racers and key board racers". We are far outnumbered by keyboard racers. Many say they will be attending an event but you never see them.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:11 am 

Marc...

as you know..currently there are no 4 cycle classes...for many reasons....one being we already have to many classes,,,100 karts divided by 18,,,,gives pretty low numbers per class ,,, excluding the very popular and growing Yamaha classes....

4 cycles are a promoters option,,(unwritten) but again,there are so many 4 cycle classses,,,,,hard to satisfy all.......bring 4-5-6 like karts to the tracks you mentioned and you will most likely be able to run,,, but again, up to the promoter....you seem to know Bob...confirm with him,,,,-

I know its gonna happen some day,,,,,,just not yet,,,

gw

VKA #387

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:59 pm 

Thanks for your reply Gary. It's what I expected. Now as far as the classes that would evolve there would not be many because their is no weight rule in the VKA(I.E. 3: JR flathead Briggs, SR Box stock Briggs flathead ., Modified Flathead Briggs . Jr 2cycle, and JR 4cycle would combine nicely. The many 4 cycle classes of the past were because of weight rules as well as 2 cycle. In review of past years participation #'s around the country many events had low numbers and your "not yet "comment seemed a little selfish when it comes to track promoters needing certain amount of entry's to make event expenses. VKA Chassis rules cut off is 1987 and that was well into the 4cycle era and that is what kept karting alive. You and I know track promoters have doubled up certain classes to aid in event progress and not to have just 2 or 3 karts out there not making a demonstration run. I loved my 2 cycle years and have had as much enjoyment during the 4 cycle years of racing. Not trying to stir things up just asking the board and others to recognize reality and the future preservation of VKA after the Grey and White haired racers start disappearing. Make it a Published Local Track Promoters OPTION to test it out. One more note, From the time I started VKA racing till now and watched things change the so called stock motors in all classes turned into modifieds...Rules/Guidelines?? When the OLD MEN strap the helmets on their minds think their 25 again till they crash and are going a little toooo fast.(ie:Rick @ Barnesville).. Many now watch but maybe would still race a 4cycle class.. I love the sport and all the history of it and just anxious to see it stay & grow sir.. thanks for your input..