It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: BDC16
Unread postPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:35 am 

I've heard some debate about whether the BDC16 double pumper carb is really adequate in stock form to handle methanol. Who runs this carb on alky w/o modification? How about a hybrid gasahol mix? Anybody try that? I'm pretty sure I heard Steve O'Hara mention that a few years ago. And wouldn't E85 work in kart engines (85% gas, 15% ethanol?) even if you should avoid it like the plague in your car motor?

Post subject: Re: BDC16
Unread postPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:16 am 

Matt,
There are a few guys running them in the Midwest. They will work and I have run them myself but they are too inconsistent for me. I and most guys I know have went to Mikunis and HR Tillys to avoid the hassle however if you can get some tips from Steve Ohara you may be fine with one. If you already have one and don't have to spend a bunch of money on it it's worth a try but the money would be better spent on a carb without the hassles.

Post subject: Re: BDC16
Unread postPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:20 am 

Matt,

The BDC 16 is all I ever run on my Mac engines with straight methanol. They work fine just as they come from the factory but I do a few small mods to mine that make them work a little better.
The basic problem with the BDC 16 carb is that it has the capacity to deliver way more fuel than your average McCulloch engine needs so if the settings are off even a little the engines will run crappy. They are also tricky to tune due to the location of the vent hole for the dry side of the metering diaphragm which is right next to the HS needle. Care must be taken when adjusting the needle while driving to avoid blocking the vent as doing so for even a second or two will make the engine go pig rich instantly.
Feel free to contact me for input on what you need for your particular application.
Steve O'Hara