It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Mid Ohio 2011 Final Vintage Event
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:40 pm 

Back in the day, many of us started our karting career at local tracks. Later we moved on to sanction racing and finally into Enduro racing.
Today, we see Vintage Sprint kart collectors, adding Enduro karts to their collections. Many are taking them out and running them and having a great time at the same tracks that many Famous race cars drivers have, and still are, racing at.
Dart Kart Club Vintage Classes continued to grow and 2012 will be no exception.
Last weekend, 12 Vintage Karters came to Mid Ohio to compete at the Season's final event.
In Vintage USA Class, Mike Schagel (sorry about the spelling, Mike) ran his Dart Chapperell Twin Mc91 enduro, Mark DeLia run his Hornet Maurader with a Mc 101AA and Bob Kurkowski ran a Dart Grand Prix enduro with a Mc91 on it. The race between these guys was great and when the Checkered flag dropped, I believe Mike was awarded 1st Place, Bob 2nd, but unfortunately Mark dropped out with a broken chain.
In the Vintage Euro Class, Saturday Adam White driving his Elite Enduro with a TKM BT-82 took first.
Sunday was a different story. Rick Chapman beat the entire Vintage Euro's out of pit lane by a mile. At the 10 minute mark, Rick was finally caught by Adam and Colm. These 3 guys ran for 15 minutes, swapping places around the 2 1/2 mile Mid Ohio track. Sometimes these guys were 3 in a row, one lap they came up the front straight away 3 abreast, passing traffic and drafting. 25 minutes in, Rick ran out of fuel, leaving Adam and Colm to battle it out for 1st.
When the Checkerd flag fell, Colm O'Higgins was Awarded 1st, Adam was Awarded 2nd and Mike Schagel in his Dart Mean Machine, running dual B-Bombs, was Awarded 3rd. Many people came to the pit wall to watch the wheel to wheel racing these Vintage Racers put on. It was said that this race was the best single race seen in the last 2-3 years.
The 2011 Season may be is over, but last weekend will be a topic of conversation for many weeks to come among these racers.
If you would like to join the great fun, let me know. I will be happy to help you find equipment. Check out http://www.dartkartclub.com for Vintage Kart Class rules. They are simple, fair and inexpensive. Just FUN... But a blast to run.

Attachments:
File comment: Rick Chapman leads the VIntage Euro's through traffic on the front straight away with his Hornet LP1
Mid Ohio 10.30.20112resize 048.JPG [54.41 KiB]
Downloaded 935 times
File comment: Colm O'Higgins leads Chapman and White with his K55 powered Hornet Wishbone
Mid Ohio 10.30.2011 2resize 047.jpg [58.98 KiB]
Downloaded 933 times
File comment: What can be better than a close race???? Even over modern karts....
Mid Ohio 10.30.2011 2resize 038.jpg [61.89 KiB]
Downloaded 936 times
File comment: Colm O'Higgins takes the checkered flag as Adam White tried to catch him
Mid Ohio 10.30.2011 2resize 049.jpg [51.61 KiB]
Downloaded 933 times

Post subject: Re: Mid Ohio 2011 Final Vintage Event
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:42 pm 

Rick,,,

Kurkowski got a trophy for winning his class????what's the score....???or is there a score???

BTW he had a 101 on it (I think)...

how do they score these events????''

Gary

VKA #387

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:30 am 

Sorry Bob....
I was pretty busy trying to keep 5 karts on the track and could not keep up with how everyone was placing.
Congratulations on your Winning Vintage USA 1 on Saturday... Better luck next year Mike..
You'll getum next year...

Gary, they take the person with the most consistant times as the winner...

See all later
Rick

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:09 pm 

First, so much Thanks to Rick Chapman for promoting Vintage Enduro Karting. He has worked tirelessly even when not so well, and provided 3 of us with race machines!

Second, Mid Ohio in October was blessed with great sunny but cool weather and was attended by over a dozen Vintage racers and many others who came to spectate.

Thanks also to DKC Officials who did their accustomed excellence!

Included were Adam White, Keelie Mann, Rick Chapman, Mike Schlager, Mark D'Elia, Bob Kurkowski, Gary Wlodarsky, Greg O'Dell & Son, several more (see the DKC site shortly) and myself.

Some photos follow (working this part). See you all again in June 2012 !!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:26 pm 

Praying this works !

Attachments:
Rupp Mean machine B Bombs Mike Schlager Mid Ohio Oct 2011 (Custom) (Custom).jpg [29.34 KiB]
Downloaded 695 times
Mid Ohio Oct 2011 Grid Mike Schklagers Impeccable Dart With Macs (Custom).jpg [37.25 KiB]
Downloaded 694 times
Mid Ohio Oct 2011 Jerry Echols And Chuck Bunnell Team (Custom) (Custom).jpg [14.59 KiB]
Downloaded 693 times
Mid Ohio Oct 2011 Mike Schlagers Macs (Custom).jpg [35.56 KiB]
Downloaded 695 times
Mid Ohio Oct 2011 Sandy MacNie Alexander Rotal 250 Winner (Custom).jpg [20.57 KiB]
Downloaded 690 times
Mid Ohio Oct 2011 Mark delia Mike Schlager And (Custom).jpg [28 KiB]
Downloaded 694 times
Mid Ohio Oct 2011 Mark D'elia Authentic Hornet With Mc101 And Colver (Custom).jpg [17.52 KiB]
Downloaded 693 times

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:51 pm 

Thanks Colm...
I can not begin to explain to everyone, how much fun, and how fast, Vintage/Classic Enduro Karts are to run.
Our rules are simple and they are design to keep the cost down.
These rules focus on ones driving ability vs actually racing in classes.
I LOOK forward to seeing you, and new Vintage/Classic racers, in 2012.
Monique will have the grill cookin'....

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:32 pm 

I had a great time running Mid-Ohio in June and again this October. It's a real fun course to drive and it was a real treat to be on the track with two other First Generation enduro karts, Mike Schlager's Chaparral Enduro with two 100cc McCullochs and the 65 Dart Grand Prix Enduro driven by Bob Kurkowski. I was driving my 65 Hornet Marauder/MC-101 and I spent several laps running alongside Kurkowski's MC-101 powered kart. I'd love to see photos of that. My chain broke on the last lap so I still got in 12 laps in 26 minutes.
Four days later I was on the road to VIRginia Int'l Raceway.
Thanks again to Rick Chapman and the Dart Kart Club.

Attachments:
100_2515 (2).JPG [40.79 KiB]
Downloaded 490 times
100_2513 (2).JPG [103.05 KiB]
Downloaded 490 times
100_2517 (2).JPG [57.08 KiB]
Downloaded 493 times
100_2519 (2).JPG [105.32 KiB]
Downloaded 489 times
100_2518 (2).JPG [89.56 KiB]
Downloaded 492 times

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:51 pm 

It was a great 2011, at Mid Ohio, because of all you guys.
Thanks for ALL the great compliments but it was not me...
Thank Dart Kart Club in supporting and encouraging the growth of the Vintage/Classisc Classes.
We all hope to see you next year at Mid Ohio, Gratten and hopefully Putnam Park.
Since the last race, we have picked up 3 new Vintage/Classic racers and there are 3-5 people looking at getting involved.
We are the fastest Growing Class at Dart Kart Club.
Thanks for being a part of the growth and let's keep the growth going.
If you have an enduro and want to join in the fun, check out www.dartkartclub.com website for the rules.
Rick

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:02 am 

I recieved an email from a fellow who is looking for an early enduro so he can join us in 2012.
In our conversation, he asked me what it was like to drive a laydown.
The best way I can explain it is, it is awesome.
These karts handle so well, are fast, look great, we get so much attention from Modern racers, and it is a Ball driving them for 30 minutes and not feel beat up when we are done.
I recently found a guy an Enduro ready to run for $600.
It had everything, less an engine and pipe.
That means the complete Hornet Chassis, Horstman axle clutch, drive belts and sprockets, pipe craddle and in great shape.
This is not an unusual price.
There are many of these out there and ready to go.
Interested?
Let me know..
Rick
Rixkart@aol.com