It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: How do you store your karts
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:59 am 

I'm looking for ideas to store multiple karts in very limited space. My "shop" is a two car garage which we use for our street cars. It also has a washer, dryer, water heater, benches and cabinets. It's tight.
Anyone have clever idea/s for more efficient kart storage?
Do you use racks, shelves, stands, rolling tables or ? Do you store them horizontally, vertically or?
How about some pictures of what you do to get the most kart storage in the least amount of space.
Thanks, Carl

Post subject: Re: How do you store your karts
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:24 pm 

Hi Carl, my "shop" is in the garage also but it has a 10' wall so I can go up. I cobbled together a rack that uses 1" and 1 1/4" square tubing that slips together so it can hold 1-4 karts. I have it on casters so it can be moved around (I try to put everything on wheels) and I'm thinking of adding a kart to each end vertically. I use an electric hoist to get the karts up to the higher levels.
During the summer there are often karts being worked on and or in the trailer so I take the upper part of the rack off, take it apart and store it. I have a 4'X5' table top that fits where the upper racks were to give a second table to work on stuff.
This may not be a great solution for you but some part of it may get you thinking about something that will work.
Attachment:
IMG_0623small.jpg
IMG_0623small.jpg [ 42.15 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:57 pm 

What is the height distance between each kart? Trying ti figure tha "average" height I will need for a 4x8 trailer, to see if I can fit 3 karts in it. Thanks cb

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:09 pm 

George Sellon wrote:
Hi Carl, my "shop" is in the garage also but it has a 10' wall so I can go up. I cobbled together a rack that uses 1" and 1 1/4" square tubing that slips together so it can hold 1-4 karts. I have it on casters so it can be moved around (I try to put everything on wheels) and I'm thinking of adding a kart to each end vertically. I use an electric hoist to get the karts up to the higher levels.
During the summer there are often karts being worked on and or in the trailer so I take the upper part of the rack off, take it apart and store it. I have a 4'X5' table top that fits where the upper racks were to give a second table to work on stuff.
This may not be a great solution for you but some part of it may get you thinking about something that will work.
Attachment:
IMG_0623small.jpg

Hi George -

Thanks for the pic!

I have similar concerns, and could use a much higher resolution version of the pic, if you have it.

Thanks,
Rod rodneyhytonen@verizon.net

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:24 pm 

Carl I store mine in the livingroom of my house,and make sure she dusts and vac around :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:55 am 

Carl-

I've got a single car garage that has to also function as a workshop, parts storage, and house a couple of motorcycles and minibikes, so I stand the karts on end and lean them in a row against the side wall with moving pads underneath. When I was living in Placerville, and the garage was all wood, I made a few sets of "hooks" from 1" threaded stock and bolted them through the side wall, added padding and hung them vertically from the front axle- it got the rear bumpers only a couple of inches off the ground, but provided better clearance for protruding cylinders and exhausts.

Dean

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 am 

Thanks to all who have responded so far, keep them coming.

George
Nicely done. I especially like the removable top section and the worktop on the lower section.
Is that your dual Poison Arrow on the bottom tier?

Bob
Well that was my first choice but the wife quickly eliminated the possibility. If I had one (or more) in the house she would not be dusting and vacing it, she would be chasing me with the frying pan. What's your secret, I'm sure lots of us would like to know.

Dean
Man your garage must be even more crowded than mine. I guess I should be thankful for the two car garage. I really like the idea of hanging them on the wall but don't have any wall space left. If I remove cabinets then there isn't any space for the small parts. Then again if I put the small parts from the cabinets in plastic tubs maybe I could put them in the house- a bit of a reverse on Bob Kindolls approach.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:59 pm 

Chip, the spacing is right at 24". My trailer is 73" floor to roof and I can squeeze 3 karts high.

Rod, here are some close ups of the main parts.
Attachment:
File comment: The first is the corner pieces, ,a 24' piece of 1.25" with a 6" piece of 1" welded in the end.
IMG_0725small.jpg
IMG_0725small.jpg [ 25.67 KiB | Viewed 2976 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The second is a corner of the shelf slid over the corner upright. You could stop there or add another corner upright to go up a level. You could go to the moon if you had the height in your shop.
IMG_0726small.jpg
IMG_0726small.jpg [ 26.56 KiB | Viewed 2992 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The third is a shot of the wheel/tire troughs that slide back and forth to adjust for the wheelbase of the kart. Biggest problem with that is you could put an eye out. If I build another one it will just have a shelf with plywood inset.
IMG_0727small.jpg
IMG_0727small.jpg [ 28.1 KiB | Viewed 2984 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Fourth is the rack broken down and the work table in place.
IMG_0724small.jpg
IMG_0724small.jpg [ 41.75 KiB | Viewed 2982 times ]

Carl, thanks but it's pretty much thrown together in a rush but it works. Yes, that's my dual Poison Arrow on the bottom

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm 

Chip, here's another idea if you have a slightly narrow trailer. This is Butch Stewart's van and he has what are for the most part shelves running down each side. Just roll the karts in and tie them down. When the karts are out the center is open to walk through. The picture is actually of a kart behind the van but if you squint you can see the shelving.

Attachments:
IMG_0331cropped small.jpg
IMG_0331cropped small.jpg [ 34 KiB | Viewed 2975 times ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:17 pm 

Heck
I had a big block all decked out in the kitchen beside to table for at least a year ,,, the wife would even polish the chrome once in a while . Then again she drives what ever we build .
Right now the kitchen table has 2 ah82 P.P. motors and 1 ah61 in the works on it . Man my wife is easy to get along with , as a matter of fact she /we are building the 61 for her Fox
You could do a rope and pulley system and hang them from the ceiling .
I have seen Mercedes hard tops hung this way and they weigh alot more than most karts .
Brian

http://www.blackdogvintageracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Dog ... 3742477070
http://www.youtube.com/wrenchhead944

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:23 am 

Here's a less sophisticated but effective stand to store a few karts, constructed of 2 x 3's and 2- 4 x 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood. I used castors (w/brakes) from Harbor Freight. The stand allow the karts to rest on their wheels, facilitating moving them onto and off the stand (roll 'em on, roll 'em off). The 48" square flat surfaces are large enough to provide some 'workbench' space while wrenching. A vertical piece of wood at the front end fits between the front axle and bumper to keep the kart from rolling off the stand. Something to think about if you don't have any welder access......

Attachments:
kart stand.JPG
kart stand.JPG [ 40.41 KiB | Viewed 2876 times ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:02 am 

Hey Matt, nothing wrong with wood. Seeing that picture reminded me of the table I built for my first kart. A piece of plywood with storage under for my gear. I don't remember having Harbor Freight around in 1963 and I hadn't discovered the value of putting things on wheels yet.

Attachments:
Fox Kart small.jpg
Fox Kart small.jpg [ 181.96 KiB | Viewed 2831 times ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

I'm working on some vertical stands made of wood (mostly 2x10's), the kart's weight rest on the rear axle and it is held vertical by stops against the rear bumper or frame. I may add caster wheels. This is a very simple stand, which doesn't require much material. One person can put kart on the stand, it is slide in behind the kart, then the kart front end is lifted vertical so the kart is up vertical sitting on the stand. These stands can make good use of vertical storage space, and can also be used in a trailer (strapping kart to wall of trailer). I might have one completed tonight, I will post a pic when done.

Another reason I started working on making this type of stand, is because I need to move my karts through a sliding glass door (to get them into my walk-out basement workshop). I will be able to roll any kart through this opening all by myself, when its on one of these vertical stands.

Jeff

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:44 pm 

More good thoughts for storage, but keep them coming. Thanks to all. Carl

Brian,
Hope you appreciate Dottie, you have a winner. Your suggestion to hang from the ceiling is a good idea. In my case it would not only pull the roof down but all the stuff I have on the rafter ties. If I could find a "sky hook" to hang them from I'd be in business.

Matt,
As George said, It doesn't have to be fancy-nice idea.

Jeff,
Did your approach work?