It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: How do you store your karts
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Carl,
Yes, it looks like it's going to work, I have to finish it, maybe tonight. I decided to add some high quality caster wheels to the bottom of it.

...but mine is made of some scrap wood and $15 of casters from Harbor Freight.

Jeff

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:23 am 
Site Admin

here are a few photos that were emailed to me, from Phil. These are some stands / racks he has made...

Attachments:
kartrack2001.jpg [74.61 KiB]
Downloaded 79 times
kartrack2005.jpg [65.72 KiB]
Downloaded 86 times
kartrack2009.jpg [59.16 KiB]
Downloaded 90 times

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:30 am 

Attachment:
File comment: Hang'em in your Man Cave! I remove engines and tires as needed for better fit.
P1000051.JPG
P1000051.JPG [ 69.23 KiB | Viewed 2159 times ]

Last edited by John Tzortzoudakis on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:08 am 

John T, any chance you are going to get your MAC engine site back up?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:24 am 

Jeff,
The vertical stand is certainly efficient use of floor space. Is the kart stable, i.e. not tippy in that position? Thanks for the idea.

JohnT,
That's what I would like to do, put them on the wall in the office, unfortunately that is not acceptable to the better half.

Thanks for all the ideas,
Carl

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:19 am 

it's off topic but i'd love to see the mac engine site back too.
on the various storage, i've got great notes now and will be using some of all the ideas.
thanx for the great thread
Dave 8)

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

Carl,
I finished the vertical stand, it works GREAT! ... and is real handy for working on the bottom side of the kart, it's worth having just for that alone! It is more stable than I thought it would be, the majority of weight is near the base so it's more stable than you might think. I would not leave the kart on this stand unattended (I have small kids at home), without putting a safety strap or attachment on it (i.e. strap front bumper to a wall, or...). It was real easy for me to put my 245lb dual foreign sidewinder kart on this stand, all by myself (yes, it really does weigh 245lbs).

The stand was really easy to make out of wood, deck screws, heavy duty caster wheels, and one nylon tie-down strap.

I didn't use the locking caster wheels, but in hind sight, using those would make it a little safer for long term storage.

Here is my stand and step by step photos raising it to vertical (you might have to click on some of the photos to see the entire photo):
Attachment:
File comment: position stand on it's side...
vertical_stand_8.jpg
vertical_stand_8.jpg [ 80.02 KiB | Viewed 2110 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: slide the stand into the kart....
vertical_stand_6.jpg
vertical_stand_6.jpg [ 94.36 KiB | Viewed 2103 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: another view of stand slid into the kart, it would be a good idea to strap the frame-bumper to the stand at this point. The strap can be laid under the stand prior to sliding it into the kart. It's time to go vertical....
vertical_stand_5.jpg
vertical_stand_5.jpg [ 83.72 KiB | Viewed 2098 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: grab the front bumper and take it vertical! (make sure the black nylon strap is tight)
vertical_stand_3.jpg [173.89 KiB]
Downloaded 617 times

Attachment:
File comment: view showing black nylon strap
vertical_stand_4.jpg
vertical_stand_4.jpg [ 106.48 KiB | Viewed 2099 times ]

Attachment:
vertical_stand_1.jpg
vertical_stand_1.jpg [ 78.66 KiB | Viewed 2102 times ]

Now I have a way to roll my karts easily through my walk-out basement sliding glass door (it used to take two people carrying the kart through sideways).

If I get ambitious, I might even paint it.

This type of stand can work well for older rear engine karts also....

Attachment:
File comment: I put 3" of wood under the rear frame member and ran the nylon strap around all of it, and the Chaparral is up vertical without any mods to the stand.
vertical_stand_R1.jpg
vertical_stand_R1.jpg [ 90.47 KiB | Viewed 2058 times ]

Attachment:
vertical_stand_R2.jpg
vertical_stand_R2.jpg [ 83.38 KiB | Viewed 2054 times ]

Jeff

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:39 pm 

after reading this thread gave me some ideas, I have a 1 car garage and no longer Have my shop, (do to the city i added on to my house so had to take shop down whole nother story there)
but got i all my karts in garage so built a rolling stand today so I can roll 3 karts out at once so can have room to work. here's some pics

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:09 pm 

I keep 4 karts and a minibike in the garage along with our 2 cars, the stack up rack
has worked well, but I really like the idea of a rolling rack- sounds like the way to go..

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:40 pm 

What A GREAT thread. It addresses an issue we all have to deal with.
Graet individual examples, from inexpensive to the clever to the, I might say over engineered. Shows just what a diverse and resourceful group we are. I enjoyed seeing everyone's examples.

Jeff, I must say it was worth the wait to see your vertical stand. I like how one person can raise the kart to a vertical position without any help. I am sure it will make your life easier and for others also who build one like it. I just wondered though, did you cut up a bed frame to make it? :lol: Some of the pieces are stained just like our bed frame is why I ask. :P

Looking forward to the season ahead and I hope I get a chance to meet some of you out and about this year...

Matt

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Matt,
Oh man, I'm still laughing, how the heck did you guess that one, you are dead right! About 30 years ago I had a friend who I helped make a waterbed, when he moved, he gave it to me. When I moved, I had the movers pack it, haul it, and destroy it. The moving company paid the claim, I kept the scrap wood, which has been used in many projects.

I tried my vertical stand on my 125cc shifter kart, it worked great on it also. I had originally thought that the slots that capture the kart axle would need to be sized very close to the axle size, and assumed one stand would not work on karts with several different diameter axles, not true. I ended up enlarging those slots just to make it easier to slide the stand into the rear of the kart, so the one stand I made fits all my heavy karts (shifter, vintage dual sidewinder, and vintage rear dual). Today I used the stand to move all 3 of these karts through my walkout basement sliding glass door. I put a few stepped boards on each side of the sliding door threshold, and wheeled the karts right through the opening, which is only 29-30 inches wide. Best of all, I did it all by myself. My shifter kart and vintage dual sidewinder kart have never been in my basement workshop before, they always had to stay in the garage until today.

Jeff

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:13 am 

Well guys you just keep coming up with good ideas. As Matt says "a diverse and resourceful group of guys". Whats even better is you are willing and anxious to share with others.

Jeff,
Great job on the mobile, one size fits all, easy loading, wood vertical storage rack. Paint that thing and enjoy. I especially like the fact the entire kart doesn't have to be lifted into position- a real back saver.
As soon as Merrilee leaves this morning I may be heading to the second bedroom for materials.

Dan,
Thanks for the photo, knowing you and all your karts I'm amazed you work out of your garage as I do. Your garage is far better organized than mine. Hope you can fit casters to the existing rack.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the great ideas - keep then coming.
Carl

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:51 pm 

Kinda off topic but a Kart-Bag could improve storage conditions. For many Karts with lots of time and money invested it would seem to be a good idea to keep ALL moisture, dust and sunlight to a minimum. Maybe even a small container of Sodium Carbonate (Damp Rid) inside the bag to pull out all moisture. This stuff is available at Pool supply stores and Home Depot. It's called PH-up or water hardener; check the label to be sure. Costs less than Damp Rid and is the same stuff.
Attachment:
File comment: ziplock bag
smP1000471.JPG
smP1000471.JPG [ 84.47 KiB | Viewed 1916 times ]

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:14 pm 

Hi John,
I always wondered what that stuff was that comes with electronic equipment. I've always wanted some for engines stored in plastic bags.
Also, noticed the karts are in plastic bags-any idea where to get them?
McMaster Carr has big heavy plastic bags at about $6 each but they don't have an air proof closure.
Great tip, thanks,
Carl