It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum rules

Only for discussion of events, technical exchange, resources, karts & parts, conducted in the spirit of fellowship and camaraderie - No VKA Guideline, Operations, or event rule discussion allowed in this Public Forum, use email or Private Message Forum features instead. Public Forum Rules published on this website apply.

Print view Previous topic | First unread post | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: How do you store your karts
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:46 pm 

been thinking hard about this (thinking is a dangerous thing for s...) and I a cheap.

How about heavy PVC with screws/bolts to hold the cross pieces in after they have been places so they can be reoved as necessary. Outside fame pieces can be perm glued. HAve seen soe jet ski racks built of pvc

or "black" pipe: screw/unscrew cross pieces in place as necessary: I Know they have "T" pieces, but corner pieces

finally a wood frae with pipes that slide in fro the side of the supports Or threades stock so that inside/outside nuts/flat washers can be places after the kart is posiyioned and that "tier" is then stabilized. Hm cb

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:29 pm 

Doc,
pvc would have to be at least scedual 40, solid core not foamed ,and 3" as it does sag without support.
also the fitting get expensive fast and they can be brittle in the right stress conditions.
not a good plan for multiple karts on a rack.
what you guys that don't have alot tools or can't fabricate should look for is unistrut and threaded rod.
a hacksaw and adjustable wrench is all you need besides parts.
they have a variety of slide fasteners and the main struts are drilled every inch.
it's used for in ductwork plumbing and electric chases on commercial buildings.
it's strong we hang major weight on these all the time.ie giant airhandlers 4 ton air conditioners ect. ect.
the neat part is the various attachments bolt in, onto or through the struts .
maybe after this run at the theater i'll find some bits and post pix.
dave

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:47 am 

Jeff

Glad to see that the Vintage Waterbed Bed frame will still be providing a usefull purpose as your Vintage Kart stand. :P Just goes to show that if you hang onto something long enough.........

I also think storing a restored Vintage kart in a plastic bag is a good idea. My friend Phil Riley also does it with many of his restorations. He told me to get mattress storage bags from the U-Haul store.

Most of my finished karts are stored in my little home shop where I do alot of grinding and media blasting while working on the next project. The plastic bags help keep the karts clean.

I think this thread might go 3 pages with all the good examples and suggestions. :lol:
Yep, just checked 3 pages, 30 replies and 784 views for this popular topic. I wonder if that is close to a record for the forum? :roll:

Matt

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:12 am 

I went to a local furniture store and asked if they had any large plastic bags that were originally used for new bed (double-bed size) box springs. They had plenty and the price was right (Free). I threw in some silica gel packs, rolled the open edge and secured it with clothes pins. Fast, quick, and easy!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:49 pm 

Carl Buchanan wrote:
Hi John,
I always wondered what that stuff was that comes with electronic equipment. I've always wanted some for engines stored in plastic bags.
Also, noticed the karts are in plastic bags-any idea where to get them?
McMaster Carr has big heavy plastic bags at about $6 each but they don't have an air proof closure.
Great tip, thanks,
Carl

Hi Carl
The little bags of Silica Gel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate found in electronic shipping boxes IS NOT Sodium Carbonate. Don't throw water hardener in a kart bag and expect it to keep things dry; it will just turn into liquid and then dry to a hard mess which may never come off.
Sodium Carbonate will make a mess if you don't have a container to catch all the water. It's just like Damp rid which includes a container to catch all the water.

Sodium Silicate is also known as Water Glass which is used to seal leaks in cooling systems. I don't know where to get it in quantity; but I'll find out. It seems like it would not be prone to making a mess inside a bag/box with a kart/engine like the water hardener would. The silica would just absorb water and not leak out unless a bead of silica pops from absorbing too much water.
The bags in the picture were custom fitted to each kart by an auto uphoulstry shop using heavy clear and black vinyl with a zipper down the middle. Very expensive, but so is the chrome on those Macs :)
Attachment:
smP1000471.JPG
smP1000471.JPG [ 84.47 KiB | Viewed 1973 times ]

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:13 pm 

Hi John,
Thanks for the follow up information on Sodium Carbonate, I could have had a real mess. All I was looking for was something that would take the dampness (humidity) out of the air in the bag. It's not just the humidity but also salt air I am trying to avoid.
It was my assumption the little bags of "stuff" in electronic equipment were to provide a dry environment while the item was in the package. Maybe I assumed wrongly.
Custom plastic bags were great. I checked around and found that Uhaul stores have 2mil clear plastic mattress bags that appear to have a zipper closure in twin to king size at $4.00 each.
Thanks for the info,
Carl

Last edited by Carl Buchanan on Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:19 pm 

Hi Russ,
Great tip on the plastic bags for box springs. Price is sure right. It made me think of moving company's and what they might have. It turns out Uhaul rental stores that have boxes, etc. also have clear 2mil mattress covers with what appears to be zipper closure at less than $4.00 each.
Thanks,
Carl

Unread postPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:02 pm 

it helps if you can evacuate the air from the bag with a vac cleaner. They have smaller bags for sweaters etc. Started drawing up soe plans for a PVC kart stand. ight workwell. c

Unread postPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:51 pm 

built a PVC kart stacker rack today. So=so results. details if anyone interested. cb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:16 pm 

I am able to drive two collector cars under this rack. I used boat dock hardware from Menard's. 2 x 4's and 3/4" plywood for the platform.

Attachments:
kart rack 1.jpg
kart rack 1.jpg [ 45.62 KiB | Viewed 1797 times ]
kart rack 2.jpg
kart rack 2.jpg [ 30.08 KiB | Viewed 1799 times ]

Unread postPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm 

I know this topic is old, but I found it this afternoon and was inspired to rediscover a few square feet in the basement. I was particularly inspired by Jeff Campbell's rolling vertical kart stand, so I came up with this:

Attachment:
download_20180522_230327.jpg
download_20180522_230327.jpg [ 51.66 KiB | Viewed 1199 times ]

Attachment:
download_20180522_231011.jpg
download_20180522_231011.jpg [ 52.51 KiB | Viewed 1199 times ]

Unread postPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:46 pm 

Attachment:
DSC01316-1.jpg
DSC01316-1.jpg [ 18.67 KiB | Viewed 1190 times ]
I hang mine with ladder hoist. got them from Menards, 180 lb capacity. one on each end of kart. they have been hanging for over a year without problems